Ye Dam Yi
- Yonsei University
- M.A. English Literature (GPA 4.27/4.30)
- Dissertation: Inventing an Alternative National Narrative in Herman Melville’s Moby-Dick (Advisor: Seok Won Yang)
- Spring 2014 – Spring 2016
- Yonsei University
- B.A. English Literature with a minor in Economics (GPA 3.93/4.30)
- Spring 2010 – Fall 2013
- James Madison University
- Exchange Student program
- Fall 2011 – Spring 2012
Academic Achievements & Scholarships
- Brain Korea 21 Program for Leading Universities & Students (BK21 PLUS) Participation Scholarships (Spring 2014, Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Fall 2015)
- Teaching Assistant Scholarship for working at Yonsei Universtiy’s College English Tutoring Service (Spring 2014, Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Fall 2015, Spring 2016)
- Certified College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) Level 2 English Writing Tutor (Fall 2015)
- Yonsei University Undergraduate Academic Merit Scholarship (Spring 2011)
- “Locating a Transnational Film between Korean Cinema and American Cinema: A Case Study of Snowpiercer (2014),” Plaridel 14, no. 1 (June 2017): 17-32.
- “The Body on Stage: A Political Critique of the Visibility of the Privacy in Tony Kushner’s Angels in America, Part I: Millennium Approaches,” The Journal of Mirae English Language and Literature 20, no. 2 (May 2015): 289-310.
- “Elusive Representation of Sexual Desire for the Popular Audience in Sanctuary,” 2015 ELLAK International Conference, Busan, December, 2015.
- “Where is the Left?: Tracing Affect in the Popular Reaction to the Sewol Tragedy,” Partitions/Violence/Migration, Cardiff, June 2015.
- “Rereading the Text: Mise-En-Page and the Rise of the Novel in Roxana,” Situations: Cultural Studies in the Asian Context Annual International Conference, Hong Kong, February 2015.
- “Signifying Space with Visual Knowledge in Snowpiercer,” 2015 HUIC Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences and Education Conference, Honolulu, January 2015.
- “Suffering as the Channel of Oppression and Reassertion in the Contestation between Individual and State in Angels in America: Millennium Approaches,” Yonsei Summer International Conference, Seoul, July 2014.
- “The Waste Land: A Diagnosis of the Rootless Modern Culture of Discommunication,” 2014 ELLAK Graduates Seminar, Seoul, June 2014.
- Na’s English Academy
- Instructor, July 2018 – August 2018
- Designed and taught 14 elementary and middle students’ speaking, grammar, and reading courses.
- Managed weekly assignments that included translation, sentence writing, vocabulary learning, and workbooks.
- Global Release Management, May 2017 – July 2018
- Managed release of product manuals by translating them from Korean to English, building finished files, and releasing them for products including middleware, databases, and migration tools.
- Globalized UI and message strings for products including the web application servers, databases, an operating system, and an office suite.
- Resolved quality issues in the source manuals by cooperating with the quality assurance team, researchers, and UI designers.
- Assisted external communication by translating and doing voice overs on scripts for customer reference videos and product demo videos and by translating marketing and customer support documents. and by translating technical documents requested from overseas sites.
- Assisted internal communication between the headquarters and overseas subsidiaries by translating emails and notices and by translating technical documents between the global business department and various sites overseas for project execution.
- Freelance Translation
- February 2017
- Translated an article by Noam Chomsky’s article “Visions of Righteousness” into Korean, which was published in Global World Literature Volume 5 Issue 1.
- Marketing, Operation, and Trading, October 2016 – January 2017
- Managed trades by creating leads with cold calls, researching potential markets and industries, collaborating with vendors, and sourcing products in more than 10 countries.
- Enhanced easy marketing and customer relations by translating company brochures, weekly newsletters, direct emails, and product web pages.
- Contributed to creating the landing page content for the corporate website by generating ideas and translating the finished content from Korean to English.
- Collaborated with developers, procurement mangers, and project mangers from more than 10 countries.